Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Assignment #2: Alternate Professions

Teaching is without a doubt, the perfect career for me.  There is no other job in the world that would meet my needs the way that teaching does.  If you've read my previous blogs, you understand just how important teaching is to me.

Having said that, there are still times when I wonder what I would be doing if not teaching.  How might my life be different if I hadn't chosen to be in the classroom?  What else would I like to try in life?  I mean, as perfect as teaching is, there are simply some aspects of the classroom that I'll never completely embrace.      

For instance, set hours.  I know, we get the summer off and multiple other holidays throughout the year as well.  However, 7:20 a.m. is pretty darn early, especially when you like to stay awake until about 1 or 2 a.m.  It's not just the early mornings that I find difficult.  Even more so, I get anxious in my cage.  I'm confined to the same building and even the same room for the entire day.  I don't have the option of simply stepping out of the office for a quick burger or a change of scenery.  I'm there.  All day long.  I struggle with this...a great deal.  There are times when I think I'm going to climb the walls, but then I look around and see that there is a whole room of little monkeys climbing with me.

And sometimes you just need to pee.  It's that simple.  I'd like to pee when the urge strikes me.  Teaching doesn't allow that luxury.

Finally, dress code and general limitations on personal style stump me.  For the most part, I enjoy conservative professional wear.  I'm queen of the simple sheath dress with scarf or jacket.  I like the look, and it likes me.  However, there are days when I'd love to wear a pencil skirt and some rockin stilettos.  That's a total no go when you are teaching 22 eight-year-olds.  It just doesn't work.  And don't even get me started on  hair/makeup/tattoos.  Let's just say that I wear a bandana and/or crazy colors all summer in an effort to get it out of my system before the end of August.  I completely understand the reasoning for a conservative look.  It's not like this is the only career that requires one to be professional and grown up in appearance.  Besides, as a Mom, I don't want for my boys to be taught by a "Freak Show."  That doesn't mean I have to like it though.          

So, what would I like to try if not teaching?  There are four jobs that I really think I would enjoy if I wasn't able to teach.

First off, I think I'd LOVE to be a hairstylist or make up artist.  Goodness knows I have a deep seeded adoration/boderline addiction for and to hair color.  To actually get paid to change the looks of others would be totally awesome.  Except, I wouldn't want to work in some mamby pamby fru fru shop.  I want to be the stylist for the strange people.  No perms or natural highlights for this girl.  Heck no.  Go big or go home.







Second option would be a sales girl at the Bettie Page Boutique in the Magnificent Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas.  I could get a discount on my favorite clothes, and I could wear awesome outfits to work.  Plus, tattoos and strange hair/makeup are preferred. Win/win!









In addition to vanity and all things glam, I also enjoy photography.  I think earning a living by making beautiful/unique works of art through the lens of a camera would be a pretty amazing thing.  I'm not sure why I've never pursued this.

Finally, I'd love to be a doctor.  I know, right?  Who would have guessed that one?  You see, I have a good friend who is a rheumatologist.  In the past, when I've helped her in her office, I'm absolutely in awe of what she does.  I cling to her every word.  I learn more from her in one afternoon than I do during an entire season of House!  Unbelievable.  I find medicine and the human body incredibly interesting.  In addition to finding the workings of the body amazing, I also find that medicine makes complete sense to me.  Everything about it just clicks.  I often find myself attempting to diagnose a patient (in my mind of course) while my friend does the exam and anticipating her impression/diagnosis, just to see if I'm correct.  The ONLY problem with this dream is the intense nausea and lightheadedness I experience when something actually penetrates the skin.  Seriously.  I faint.  No joke.  It's ridiculous.  I guess I'll just continue to watch House, and look away during the yucky parts.       



If I could sing, it would probably be fun to be a rock star, but I can't, so let's not even go there.

I guess, for now, and most likely the rest of my working life, I'll continue to teach.  Not only because it's my dream, but also because I love it.  However, just know that a Bettie Page wearing, picture taking, hair cutting physician lurks inside of me, and she needs to pee.   

No comments:

Post a Comment