Monday, July 25, 2011

Stress? What stress?

I pride myself in being laid back.  I try not to stress over unimportant things.  Change is a good thing.  I haven't given much thought to switching schools and grade levels, and overall, I'm not too concerned about the upcoming year. 

However, my dream last night begs to differ on this fact.

It was "Meet the Teacher Night" at my new school. My boxes of supplies and such had just been delivered to my new classroom from my former school THAT afternoon. 

Moments after the delivery of my 45 boxes, parents began pouring into my classroom.  The parents proceed to open my boxes and explore the contents.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting at a student desk attempting to cut out 104 red snowflakes in an effort to decorate said room in the same manner as my new teammates.  I have not a clue as to why red snowflakes were the chosen theme in August, but it was quite important to the team that I adorn my walls accordingly. In addition to the cutting of the 104 red snowflakes, each one had to be individually wired so that a small LED light would glow in it's center.  Good grief.



My entire evening during meet the teacher was spent doing one of three things: 
1.  Sitting in a tiny chair at a tiny desk, using children's scissors to cut snowflakes from red construction paper.

2.  Attempting to fix the broken lock on the classroom restroom and change the light bulbs in my room.

3.  Chasing a wayward parrot and trying to silence the thing, as he kept cursing the parents who were milling about the room unpacking my boxes.  He also managed to drop a few surprises on the guests between bouts of profanity.  



Only once did I so much as make eye contact with a parent.  That was to say good-bye.  However, I immediately began choking on licorice, and an ambulance had to be called.  Licorice is, after all, standard protocol for all successful meet the teacher events.   





I can hardly wait for the "First Day of School" dream.      

No comments:

Post a Comment