Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Bug

I've been worried.  I must admit, it happens a good bit, but recently, it's really bothered me.  You see, each year, I wonder...Am I really where I should be?  Is there something else that I should be doing with my life right now?  And more directly...Am I missing out on something by being a teacher?   I always wonder this, but normally it doesn't consume me.  I'm philosophical.  It's a curse.  I try not to think, but then I'm focusing on the purpose of thought.  Vicious cycle, I tell you.  

And, I'll be the first to state that any teacher that continues to stay in a classroom without being there wholeheartedly, should do the world a favor and LEAVE!  In fact, in an essay that I wrote once about four years ago, I remember very clearly stating that if there ever comes a time when I don't look forward to getting my class list in the same way that a child anticipates Christmas morning, I will know that it's time to find a new profession.        

All summer, I've lived in the moment.  I've not thought about school, with the exception of dreading my alarm.  I've done very little with regards to education.  Of course, I still read professional articles and books, but that really doesn't mean anything.  Seriously, I read cereal boxes when desperate.  It's just what I do.




Well, I'm pleased to announce, "the bug" has hit, and I'm chomping at the bits to get in a classroom.  I've spent the past three days in my new room.  Tonight, I went up there just to sit and dream of what I'll be doing in about three weeks.  I know, ridiculous, right?  It's true.  I put up one bulletin board and then sat in a student chair and just sat.  I think I even blew the room a kiss as I turned out the lights to leave.



I know that each year, it hits me.  It always does.  However, it normally strikes in July.  This year, it didn't get me until August the 2nd.  I was so worried that my career was over, but now, I can rest easy.  I'm raring to go and believe me...Christmas morning (AKA meet the teacher night) can't get here soon enough.  Hold onto your hats boys, I'm back and as wholehearted as I've ever been!         

No comments:

Post a Comment