Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Most Dreaded Question at Staff Development

I don't know about you, but my least favorite question during summer inservice days is "What did you do this summer?"

I mean, seriously?  Do you really want to know?  Is this some diluted way of getting to know my inner beauty?  I'm so much more than my summer accomplishments, or lack thereof.

The truth is, nine times out of ten, I can't remember what in the world the highlight of my summer was, because I'm in an absolute fog from actually getting up before noon in order to attend this inservice day.  This is not an exaggeration.  

So then, I'm sweating and in a panic trying to think of something impressive, witty, academic, or even productive to contribute to the conversation involving European trips, new grandbabies, and recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize.  

In an effort to be better prepared, I think I'll compose a list of my greatest summer accomplishments so that I won't be put on the spot.  Surely I have something worthwhile to contribute. Let's see:  

1.  Drove to Wichita Falls the very last day of school in order to participate in an all night Relay for Life 


2.  Cancelled out that noble act of kindness by immediately driving back to Fort Worth (after about three hours of sleep) to party like a rockstar with a group of friends.  : ) 


3.  Read books at Six Flags over Texas while my kids roamed the park unattended.

4.  Babysat the cutest little three month old ever...Aunt Becky loves her little Kinley! 

5.  Sat by a pool and vegged while exposing my body to dangerous UV rays. 


6.  Potentially exposed my body to Hepatitis by getting my third tattoo.


7.  Listened to mother-in-law rant about my third tattoo.

8.  Celebrated my sons' 12th and 14th birthdays with family in Wichita Falls.

9.  Read more mindless and shallow books... 


10.  Slept a great deal.  No, I mean, a REALLY great deal. 

11.  Went to the horse races and taught my sons how to place an EXACTA BOX.  Uh...yeah...that's nice.

12.  Partied like a rockstar again. 

13.  Went to movies with little boys.

14.  Saw a bunch of wax figures and weird stuff at Ripley's Believe it or Not.


15.  Participated as part of the studio audience during the taping of The X Factor at American Airlines Center

16.  Sat in doctor's offices waiting on them to make time in their precious day to do their job.

17.  Cooked out.

18.  Saw firework shows. 

19.  Enjoyed lunch with future coworkers. 

20.  Enjoyed lunches with former coworkers. 


21.  Enjoyed dinner with former out of town coworkers. 


22.  Got pedicures with sweet girlfriend. 


23.  Hung out at the pool (hut side) a little more with friends. 

24.  Reread a couple of books regarding classroom management.




25.  Looked over information regarding the new state testing and third grade TEKS.

26.  Changed my haircolor about four times.


27.  Contemplated paint colors for my living room.

28.  Wrote a few lame blogs. 

29.  Had an awesome day with some of the world's greatest kids. 

30.  Refereed multiple wrestling matches between my sons, who also happen to be great kids. 


31.  Stepped on a rather large thorn in the front yard.

32.  Argued with the general contractor about why it was taking six weeks to finish up the work on the house.

33.  Discovered a baby bunny nest in my backyard only to be traumatized when mommy bunny moved the nest.


34.  Toured Cowboy Stadium.



35.  Played/observed grown men rockin out on Wii Rock Band. 

36.  Window shopped.     



37.  And most likely annoyed my uptight neighbor, yet again.

38.  Most recently, I've reformatted my blog template so that it's cutesy and frilly and grand.   

39.  Monitored/endured multiple sleepovers.

40.  Engaged in ridiculous amounts of retail therapy.

41.  Gotten a couple of pretty legitimate massages.

42.  Nearly threw up at the sight of my own blood during my most recent epidural steroid injection. Good times.

43.  Enjoyed an awesome view of the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey circus at American Airlines Center.  

44.  Saw Harry Potter 3D with a great group of friends.



45.  Partied with some wonderful people in downtown Fort Worth and participated in Kerry achieving a lifelong dream.  




46.  Became pretty angry when I found my car had been backed into and left without a note.   Poor little girl...




 47.  Discovered a new use for duct tape, thus finalizing my ascent to true ghetto mentality.  


48. Skipped a day at Chez Pawski to nurse my sweet little KB back to health.  Gross.  Believe me...you don't want to see a picture of that one. 

49.  Enjoyed date night with a studly fella. 

50.  Jammed out with the elderly at a Benefit Concert featuring Elvis and Johnny Cash.  Oh yeah...be jealous.  It was AWESOME!  




51.  Had lunch with my Mom at Babe's in Roanoke.  I'm a HUGE fan of greasy chicken.  

52.  Witnessed and attempted to appreciate to the maximum of my ability, the practical jokes of little boys.  




53.  Worked in my new classroom...and LOVED IT! 

 Yeah...I think I better fabricate some sort of story about an elaborate and fantastic vacation or remarkable discovery of an ancient artifact or something.  This list is the list of a slacker.  

And I wouldn't change a thing.  Here's to the next week of lazy lunches and poolside chats with the girls.  I love summer and the friends and family with whom I get to share it.     
  
         

No comments:

Post a Comment