Monday, August 8, 2011

Friends

I'm not one to have too many "close" friends.  In high school, I had one bestie and a few "buddies."  That was it.  I didn't want or need more than that.  Becca was my bestie through all four years of high school-even through our teen dramas.  In fact, she found me on Facebook just YESTERDAY!  What a flippin awesome feeling.  I've looked for her in the past, but never could find her.  I've missed her so much.

After high school and college, Becca moved away and I found Tonya.  She is quite possibly the kindest soul I've ever known.  And her hubby Nolan.  Both of them have my heart.  I love you guys.  Thanks for always loving me...even when I've been a big old pain in the butt.



Quality over quantity.  Things stayed pretty much that way for the first 37 years of my life.  I always had and kept maybe one or two friends and never wanted or needed more. 

Of course, I'm ALWAYS close to my teaching partners.  That's pretty much a given.  This still, stayed within my 1-2 close girlfriends criteria, so all was well.  Thankfully, I've always bonded well with my partners.  Maybe that's just luck, or maybe it's just how I am, but I hold my partner in high regards.  Once my teaching assignment changes, my relationship stays in tact, regardless of the miles that may separate us.  I always feel protective of my partners and former partners, and I can say with all honesty, I love them like sisters. No matter where they are, or what they do, one call, and I'll go to bat for these girls. Kiss & hugs to JLo, Abbye, and Audra.  Wish Rose luck...she's the next in line to share the love.  Poor girl.


Goin' ghetto in the hood with Abbye. 

People's elbow to you JLo.

Elffin' good times... 

So, when I moved to the Fort Worth area, I wasn't too worried about making friends. Mainly because I only need 1-2, and my teaching partner would meet that quota, thus relieving the pressure to socialize on my part.  Whew.  What a relief.  One less thing.

However, I must admit...times are changing.  And I'm glad.

Maybe I'm maturing?  Maybe I'm not taking myself so darn seriously? 

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I came to a startling realization.  I woke up one day and noticed that my entire summer consisted of awesome lazy summer days spent with my best girlS.  Not one girl, but multiple GIRLS!  That's absurd!  Unheard of... How did this happen?  Why did this happen?  Where did these girls come from?

Somehow, over the past two years, I've evolved into a bit of a social kind of girls' girl.  I'm finding that I have SEVERAL girlfriends with whom I'd feel comfortable sharing a secret or weakness, lipstick, a cell phone, deodorant if the need presented itself, or a strong margarita.  Whatever.  Don't judge.

Some friends have simply gotten closer over the years.  For example, my girl, Jenni, just moved here from Burkburnett, Texas and thankfully, despite Kerry's very vocal and strong doubts, she likes me even more than she realized.  : )  Nanny nanny boo boo, KB!  In yo face!  And not only that, let me tell you, we can do some damage in a mall...plus, I love telling her what I think over a good piece of Turtle Cheesecake.


Strangely enough, friends started popping up in the strangest of places despite my best efforts to avoid them. 

One of the first people that I met here, and quite honestly, didn't care for much, ended up being not nearly as terrible as I'd originally judged her to be.  You see, she introduced herself as a "Star" teacher...Uh...excuse me...that's my title.  Apparently, she hadn't heard of me or gotten the memo.  I'm kind of a big deal. Of course, now, she knows her place.  Love you Cheri.  Who let the dogs out?  Grrr....Rawf Rawf! 

And trouble, trouble, trouble-oh how I love my evil twin, Michelle.  With a little work, I'll have her just as trashy as I am.  All hail the hut - sending summer love to Fabio the Flamingo.  How about we head out to downtown Roanoke for some German cuisine?  I'm going to miss seeing your shoes every day.  Whateva, sista.



Fort Worth has turned out to be one of the greatest places I've ever met friends.  Either I'm just older and softer now, or I just hit a gold mine of quality women.  Maybe I'm more approachable now, because I'm just so darn happy living here.  I can't help but count my blessings when I think of all of the wonderful friends that I've met over the past two years, as well as the lifelong friends I have back home.

This summer has been full of awesome lunch dates, pedicures, shopping, party nights, and poolside chats and I owe it all to my wonderful new girlfriends:  Audra, JLo, Michelle, Cheri, Jenni, Wendy, Anna, Paula, Rose, Erica, Kathleen, Lauren, Kim C. and Kim T., Nancy, and whoever else I've forgotten to mention.  My point is, I'm blessed beyond measure.  Thanks for spending part of your summer with me, girls.  Kisses.  Here's to many more summers of a whole bunch of priceless nothing.              


No comments:

Post a Comment