Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Babies and What They Do To Me!



My teaching partner, Audra (and her husband, Ike), had their sweet little baby girl today.  I've watched Audra's once tiny tummy grow since finding out that she was pregnant last August.  I've watched her tread gracefully through the unknown and relish in delight over the little wonders of pregnancy. 


I think I'm reliving my life through her and maybe, just maybe, that is what is moving me so much.


You see, much like Audra and Ike, Kerry and I began dating right out of high school and got married immediately following college.  Two years later, when we were both 25, I was having our first son, Kory.  Audra and Ike have followed pretty much this same path.  I think it is the similarities in our relationships that have made me feel as though I'm looking back in time. 


Audra went into the hospital for induction this morning at 7 a.m..  I cried on my way to work thinking of the way that her life would be changing and remembering the flood of love that I felt 13 years ago. 


While waiting for the call, I wore a bare spot in my classroom carpet and chewed my right thumbnail down to oblivion.  I also wore out the button on my iphone.  I might have jammed up the FB site a time or two as well due to the constant checking for status updates. 


I know that I shouldn't be using my phone in the classroom, and normally, I don't.  It's just today...today was a once in a lifetime event.  Besides, my kids were just as anxious as I was to hear all the details and to see sweet Kinley's gorgeous face.


At about 2:15, I got the text that told me precious Kinley had arrived, and that my partner was doing well.  


Even though it pained me, I refused to call or text her to get information or hear how beautiful I knew the baby was.  I know and remember well the overwhelming chaos and stimulation after deliver and understood that as a friend, it would be most helpful for me to make myself scarce for a while. 


Meanwhile, my thumb began to bleed, and I rubbed a blister on my left foot from pacing. 


Now, at 6:40, I finally get to hear Audra tell me all the details of her Journey into Motherhood.  I couldn't help but tear up (for the third time today) while listening to all the details that I already knew so well.  I could listen to that story everyday, because it's the excitement in the new mom's voice that makes it all worth hearing.  To hear the actual story of Kinley's birth, you must speak directly to her mother.  It is her story.  I'm just sharing the joy that I got from hearing it. 


While listening to the details, I heard sweet Kinley and her newborn cry.  I felt compelled to join her. 


What can I say?  I'm a mess today...


I love you Audra and Kinley.  You aren't half bad either, Ike.




P.S.  Sorry I cried on the phone AGAIN, Audra, when calling to get permission to post her picture.  I told you, I'm a mess today...no thanks to you.   

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful baby. I got misty reliving your birth, reading your post.
    Give that adorable baby a hug for me too!

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete